Azernews.Az

Monday May 27 2024

Iran rejects reports on gas leak at South Pars phase

27 March 2015 11:39 (UTC+04:00)
Iran rejects reports on gas leak at South Pars phase

Aliakbar Shabanpour, Iran's Pars Oil and Gas Company Managing Director has denied the reports about the leakage at South Pars phase 13 steel jacket.

The statement followed an accident where a Singaporian tanker crashed into the jacket on March 21. The platform was damaged as a result of the collision.

Shabanpour stated that the accident had no casualties, SHANA news agency reported.

He said there are 8 gas wells at phase 13 (A) jacket, none of which have been detected with leakage during preliminary inspections.

The official further said expert teams are soon to be sent to the spot to carry out further inspections.

He said the accident came despite the fact that the jacket had been made conspicuous using signs and other cautionary equipment.

The tanker that hit the jacket has very advanced navigational and radar equipment, so the accident has no doubt to do with inconsiderate conduct by the captain and crew, Shabanpour observed.

In 2013, the offshore platform of the phase 13 of the South Pars gas field was drowned while being installed.

Some $40 million had been spent to build the platform over the course of 30 months.

The phase 13 of the South Pars field is projected to yield 50 million cubic meters of gas, 80,000 barrels of gas condensates, 2900 metric tons of LPG, and 400 metric tons of sulfur per day.

--

Follow us on Twitter @AzerNewsAz

Loading...
Latest See more