By Kamila Aliyeva
The Alexander Nevsky Russian Orthodox Church in Ganja, Azerbaijan, has celebrated its 130th anniversary.
A solemn event on this day was attended by Deputy Head of Ganja City Executive Power Rafig Shafiyev, Russian ambassador to BakuVladimir Dorokhin, Baku and Azerbaijan archbishop Alexander as well as local residents and members of the Christian community, Azertac reported.
Shafiyev, welcoming the guests, said that Azerbaijan has historically been home to representatives of different religions and cultures, who lived in peace in the country.
He highlighted the government`s attention to tolerance and multiculturalism.
Ambassador Dorokhin, in turn, expressed his confidence that the newly-renovated church will be home to those who want to perform their religious rituals.
Archbishop Alexander also hailed attention to the Christian community in Azerbaijan.
The Alexander Nevsky Church was built in Ganja in 1887. The church was constructed in the Byzantine style with the use of brick called plinfa. It is one of the oldest existing Orthodox churches in Azerbaijan and was included in the National Register of Historical Monuments.
There are strong ties between the Muslim and Orthodox communities of Azerbaijan, where equal conditions for all peoples and religions are created. The Baku Eparchy of the Orthodox Church has been established back in the 20th century, while recent opening of Orthodox Religious and Cultural Center of Baku and Azerbaijan Eparchy is an example of continuous friendly relations also in the religious terms.
Kamila Aliyeva is AzerNews’ staff journalist, follow her on Twitter: @Kami_Aliyeva
Follow us on Twitter @AzerNewsAz