Follow us:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • AppStore
  • RSS
Azernews.Az
Tuesday January 26 2021
  • Latest
  • Nation
  • World
  • Business
  • Oil & Gas
  • Armenian Aggression
  • Nagorno-karabakh conflict
  • Editorial
  • Analysis
  • Lifestyle
  • Events
  • Healthcare
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Travel
Home
  • Home
  • Nation
  • World
  • Business
  • Oil & Gas
  • Armenian Aggression
  • Nagorno-karabakh conflict
  • Editorial
  • Analysis
  • Lifestyle
  • Events
  • Healthcare
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Travel

Amnesty International: 72 Azerbaijani civilians killed in Armenia's indiscriminate attacks

14 January 2021 15:10 (UTC+04:00)
857

By Vafa Ismayilova

Amnesty International has made public details about deadly strikes carried out by Armenian forces on Azerbaijani towns and villages during the 44-day war that lasted from September 27 to November 10, 2021.

In its new report published on January 13, 2021, the organization said that it had documented eight strikes carried out by Armenian forces on towns and villages in Azerbaijan which killed a total of 72 civilians. It added that Armenian forces employed inaccurate ballistic missiles, unguided multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS), and artillery. 

"In the city of Ganja on 17 October, 21 civilians were killed and more than 50 injured when a SCUD-B ballistic missile hit the Mukhtar Hajiyev neighbourhood. Sudaba Asgarova’s daughter Nigar was killed in the strike, a day before her 15th birthday," Amnesty International said.

“She was my only child. She was all I had,” the rights watchdog quoted Asgarova as saying.

Ramiz Gahramanov, 64, told Amnesty International that in the same strike his daughter Khatira, 34, was killed along with her son Orkhan, 11, and two daughters Maryam, 6, and Laman, 18, the report added.

In the aftermath of the blast, Ramiz said: “I looked down and when I saw that the house had been completely destroyed, I immediately knew that they had all died because nobody could have survived such destruction. I could not find the bodies of my grandchildren. Parts of their bodies were not found until days later, in the next street, and some parts were not found at all.”

Amnesty International reported that on 27 October, five people were killed and 14 injured when Armenian forces launched a cluster bomb strike on the village of Qarayusifli, causing widespread damage to homes. One of those killed was seven-year-old Aysu Iskandarli, who was playing on a swing in her garden at the time.

Armenian forces also fired several large-calibre rockets into the city of Barda on 28 October, more than 20 km from the frontline. Three rockets landed in the city centre, two of them near two hospitals. The third – a Russian-made 9M55 Smerch rocket containing 72 9N235 cluster submunitions – landed in the middle of a busy roundabout, killing 21 civilians, the organization said.

"On September 27, the day the conflict began, Armenian forces launched an artillery strike in Gashalti, near Naftalan, killing five members of the Gurbanov family and partially destroying their house. Bakhtiar Gurbanov, who lost his parents, along with his brother’s wife, his nephew and niece, told Amnesty International: 'Our family was destroyed. We had started to renovate the house before the war, now we can’t bear to be here anymore.'," the report added.

In early December 2020, the Azerbaijani Prosecutor-General's Office said that 100 civilians were killed and 416 were injured in Armenia's armed attacks.

The clashes between Armenia and Azerbaijan escalated for the second time in 2020 after Armenia's forces deployed in the occupied Azerbaijani lands targeted Azerbaijani civilian settlements and military positions, causing casualties among civilians and the military. In the early hours of September 27, Azerbaijan launched a counter-offensive operation which lasted six weeks. The operation resulted in the liberation of Azerbaijan's occupied lands.

A Russia-brokered ceasefire deal that Azerbaijan and Armenia signed on November 10, 2020, brought an end to the 44-day war between the two countries. The Azerbaijani army declared a victory against the Armenian troops. The signed agreement obliged Armenia to withdraw its troops from the Azerbaijani lands that it had occupied.

--

Follow us on Twitter @AzerNewsAz  

  • #2020 NAGORNO-KARABAKH WAR
  • #AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL

Related News

Senior officers unveil details of demining operations in liberated lands

Senior officers unveil details of demining operations in liberated lands

17:54
Some 27 engineering troops servicemen killed in Karabakh war

Some 27 engineering troops servicemen killed in Karabakh war

17:00
Armenian experts believe army losses in recent war higher than official figure

Armenian experts believe army losses in recent war higher than official figure

25 January 16:24
Armenian volunteers protest non-payment of compensation for fighting in Karabakh war

Armenian volunteers protest non-payment of compensation for fighting in Karabakh war

23 January 10:40
Azerbaijan launches criminal case against two foreigners fighting in Karabakh war

Azerbaijan launches criminal case against two foreigners fighting in Karabakh war

22 January 17:00
Azerbaijani, French FMs mull Karabakh peace deal, ties

Azerbaijani, French FMs mull Karabakh peace deal, ties

22 January 12:00
Azerbaijani FM, Turkic Council, TURKSOY officials mull restoration of liberated lands

Azerbaijani FM, Turkic Council, TURKSOY officials mull restoration of liberated lands

19 January 12:00
Baku gets ready to build Patriotic War Memorial Complex <span class="color_red">[PHOTO/VIDEO]</span>

Baku gets ready to build Patriotic War Memorial Complex [PHOTO/VIDEO]

18 January 15:59
National History Museum to host patriotic exhibition

National History Museum to host patriotic exhibition

18 January 12:58
Azerbaijan's PM signs order on restoration of facilities damaged in Patriotic War

Azerbaijan's PM signs order on restoration of facilities damaged in Patriotic War

15 January 11:59
  • Latest
  • Popular
20:00 • Russia and Iran open to discuss Karabakh issue
19:44 • Access Bank eyes creating bank branches in Azerbaijani lands liberated from occupation
19:43 • Clearing of mines, unexploded ordnance continuing in liberated Fuzuli district [PHOTO/VIDEO]
19:36 • Armenian Armed Forces blew up bridges, destroyed roads retreating during second Karabakh War
19:24 • Gold price increases in Azerbaijan
19:05 • Turkish investments in Azerbaijan's Karabakh to favor opening new jobs - expert
18:57 • Prices for Azerbaijani oil revealed
18:44 • Azerbaijan Airlines increases flights number on Baku-Nakhchivan route
18:33 • Tax exemptions on wheat imports, sales may be extended in Azerbaijan
18:16 • Colonel talks restored and built roads in liberated lands of Azerbaijan
18:00 • Thousands of hectares of cultivatable lands demined in Azerbaijan's liberated districts
17:54 • Senior officers unveil details of demining operations in liberated lands
17:50 • FIG cancels holding Artistic Gymnastics World Cup in Azerbaijan’s Baku
17:49 • Azerbaijani banks buy more foreign currency at CBA's auction
17:35 • Baku awaits foggy weather
17:24 • BakuBus LLC transferred to Azerbaijan Investment Holding
17:15 • Sale of gold, silver in Azerbaijan may become tax-free
17:06 • French MFA's Secretary of State visits Azerbaijan [PHOTO]
17:00 • Some 27 engineering troops servicemen killed in Karabakh war
16:50 • Neftchi player to join national futsal team
10:20 • Azerbaijan notifies foreign law-enforcers about Armenia's crimes in Karabakh war [PHOTO]
11:15 • Baku slams Russian MP's anti-Azerbaijani remarks
13:17 • Anglo Asian Mining restores its contract areas in Azerbaijan’s liberated territories
11:00 • Azerbaijan's cargo transportation via TRACECA hits 35.5m tons in 2020
10:00 • Azerbaijan, Japan eye cooperation in mining industry [PHOTO]
12:40 • Azerbaijan files criminal case over its citizen's killing in pirate attack on Turkish ship
17:00 • Some 27 engineering troops servicemen killed in Karabakh war
10:40 • Baku hosts French Film Festival
13:00 • Azercell expanded the coverage of the LTE network to more than 85% of the country's territory last year
15:38 • Carpet Museum to host international conference
11:54 • Azerbaijan to create Karabakh development model - Center for Analysis of Economic Reforms
12:15 • Culture Ministry calls for talented filmmakers
15:19 • Azerbaijan Georgia’s main bitumen supplier in 2020
13:40 • IDEA starts exports to Qatari company
13:53 • President Aliyev receives new minister of transport, communications and high technologies [PHOTO]
11:20 • Azerbaijan's Cabinet of Ministers determines priorities for 2021 [PHOTO]
16:00 • Azerbaijan and ICESCO. New partnership prospects.
14:06 • National Art Museum director awarded with Ataturk Award
12:50 • Amount of fee transfers to Azerbaijan's 2020 state budget disclosed
14:50 • Azerbaijan-Belarus trade turnover soars in 2020
See more
AzerNews Newspaper
AzerNews
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • RSS

Information

About us Contacts Advertising Azernews In Print

News Archive

© 2021 AzerNews. All rights reserved