By Akbar Mammadov
Azerbaijani army units have destroyed field control point of one of the units of the Armenian armed forces by an accurate fire as part of punitive measures undertaken to suppress the enemy’s combat activity on July 15, the Defence Ministry stated today.
The operation took place at 4 pm. Earlier at 3.02 pm, the ministry reported that after the shelling of Azerbaijani positions and settlements in the direction of the Tovuz region of the front, Armenian units became active in the border regions of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic.
The ministry noted that Armenian units violated the ceasefire in the direction of Sharur, Babek and Ordubad regions on July 14 from 10:15 pm to 11:55 pm and on July 15 from 01:20 am to the morning using various large-caliber weapons.
“A military vehicle moving to the command observation post was destroyed by the accurate firing of our units in order to force the Armenian Armed Forces to cease fire in the direction of Nakhchivan and take punitive measures,” the ministry said, adding that Armenia forces were silenced by retaliatory fire.
The defense ministry emphasized that the operational environment is under the control of Azerbaijani troops.
The Azerbaijani army has been taking punitive measures against the Armenian provocation starting from midnight today as the units of the Azerbaijani Army destroyed military equipment belonging Armenian armed forces in order to suppress combat activity of the advisory side. The stronghold of another company of the armed forces of Armenia was destroyed by the accurate fire of our units at 07.30. Later, at 09:35 am, the ministry shared information that another long-range firing point of the Armenian units was destroyed.
The cross-border clashes between the two countries started on July 12, when units of the Armenian armed forces, grossly violating the ceasefire on the direction of the Tovuz region of the Azerbaijani-Armenian state border, fired on positions of the Azerbaijani Army using artillery mounts.
Eleven Azerbaijani servicemen and a civilian have been killed in the hostilities so far.
In the meantime, Azerbaijani Presidential Aide and Head of Foreign Policy Affairs Department of the Presidential Administration Hikmat Hajiyev said in an interview to the European “Euraactiv.com” news website today that Armenia had planed the cross-border provocation in advance and on purpose.
Akbar Mammadov is AzerNews’ staff journalist, follow him on Twitter: @AkbarMammadov97
Follow us on Twitter @AzerNewsAz