By Rashid Shirinov
The long-standing Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict over the 20 percent of Azerbaijan’s internationally recognized territories already approaches its third decade of existence, but no world powers have yet exerted the due pressure on Armenia in order to make the occupier country leave Azerbaijani lands.
In this context, it is extremely important that the international community must pay more attention to this conflict in the South Caucasus in order to contribute to its resolution and prevent any undesirable development.
American political expert Peter Tase shared his thoughts on this matter in his interview with Report on October 11.
“There should be a greater pressure from the European Union, NATO and USA against the current Armenian government so that Armenia could immediately withdraw its troops from sovereign territories of Azerbaijan,” the expert said.
He noted that government of Armenia is trying to maintain the status quo, continues to violate international and humanitarian laws and constantly commits horrible atrocities against innocent civilians and cultural property of Azerbaijan.
Tase believes that bilateral and multilateral meetings to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict have not produced concrete results, and the OSCE Minsk Group, in fact, wastes time and resources while there is no certain outcome.
While the Minsk Group co-chairs constantly urge the sides to strictly adhere to the ceasefire and take steps to reduce tensions along the line of contact, Armenia does exactly the opposite. The country does its utmost to preserve the status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh.
Tase noted that the practice of repeated ceasefire violations by the Armenian government is a clear violation of the sovereignty of Azerbaijan, and this takes us back to the dark days of Italian Fascist invasion of Ethiopia and Eritrea in 1930s.
“Armenia is not respecting the international law, and Yerevan’s policy is the main obstacle to the economic development of Europe, not only in the Caucasus region,” he said.
Tase further touched upon the U.S. state of Michigan’s adoption of a resolution recognizing the so-called “Armenian genocide.” He expressed regret that Michigan legislators have once again been trapped in Armenian misinformation.
“Whoever has initiated this recognition, the state legislature of Michigan state has become once again a victim of Armenian propaganda and of Yerevan’s information manipulation campaigns,” Tase noted.
He added that with their actions, these state legislators are refusing to recognize the bloody atrocities that were committed by Armenian government against Azerbaijanis. “We are still observing the exercise of a double standards attitude in the world today,” the expert said.
Tase also pointed out that that the U. S. Congress will not recognize the fictional “Armenian genocide” even if all 50 states recognize it.
The Armenian authorities and Diaspora claim that the predecessor of modern Turkey, the Ottoman Empire, carried out a “genocide” against Armenians in 1915 in Anatolia.
Many historians, scholars and experts announced that this hundred-year-old lie contradicts the historical facts. Moreover, there have been many facts which actually disproof Armenia’s stance.
Meanwhile, Yerevan has so far failed to command any factual proofs to make a legal and historical ground for its claims, thus evading from launching an investigation instead of delving into history.
Rashid Shirinov is AzerNews’ staff journalist, follow him on Twitter: @RashidShirinov
Follow us on Twitter @AzerNewsAz