Saudi FM defends OPEC+ decision, says ties with US are strategic
Saudi Arabia’s ties with the US are strategic and have supported the security and stability of the Middle East, the top Saudi diplomat said Tuesday, defending the recent decision by OPEC+ to cut oil output, Trend reports citing Al Arabiya.
Prince Faisal bin Farhan’s comments came shortly after Biden administration officials repeatedly said that Washington needed to review its relationship with Saudi Arabia after last week’s decision by OPEC+.
“Our relationship with the United States has been institutionalized since it was established,” Prince Faisal told Al Arabiya.
US officials have publicly hit out at Saudi Arabia following the OPEC+ move, with several American lawmakers calling for an immediate freeze on arms sales to Riyadh. On this, Prince Faisal said that the US-Saudi military cooperation served the interests of both countries.
Last week, OPEC+ agreed to decrease their output target by 2 million barrels daily.
Addressing the OPEC+ decision, Prince Faisal denied it was a political move. “The OPEC+ decision was purely economic and was taken unanimously by the [organization’s] member states.”
The Saudi foreign minister added: “OPEC+ members acted responsibly and took the appropriate decision.”
Follow us on Twitter @AzerNewsAz