By Laman Ismayilova
A memorandum of cooperation was signed between the Azerbaijan Theater Workers Union, the Azerbaijan State Academic National Drama Theater and the National Theater of Bulgaria.
The chairman of the Azerbaijan Union of Theater Workers, artistic director and the head of the Academic National Drama Theater, Azer Pasha Nematov, met with the Managing Director of the National Theater of Bulgaria, Marius Donkin, Report.az informed.
In their speeches, Azer Pasha Nematov and Marius Donkin drew attention to the great importance of the memorandum in the context of mutual cooperation.
The memorandum aims at encouraging the development of cultural ties between Bulgaria and Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan Drama Theater was first established on December 20, 1920, as the "State Free Satirical Agitational Theater", however on April 29, 1921, it was renamed as the "Baku Workers' Theater".
In 1937 the name was changed to "Azerbaijan State Red Banner Theater of Russian Drama". Since 1938, it is named as the "Azerbaijan State Russian Drama Theater". In 1956, the theater was additionally named after the Azerbaijani poet Samad Vurgun.
Many works of Russian literary figures such as Tolstoy, Pushkin, Chekov, Gogol, Lermontov, Mayakovsky, Lavrenyov, as well as Azerbaijani literary figures such as Jafar Jabbarli, Mirza Fatali Akhundov, Ali bey Huseynzade, Najaf bey Vazirov, Huseyn Javid, works of world classics such as Shakespeare, Schiller, Molière, Dumas, Hugo, Balzac, are staged in the theater in Russian.
The Ivan Vazov National Theater is Bulgaria's national theater, as well as the oldest and most authoritative theater in the country.
Founded in 1904 by the artists from the Salza i Smyah company, it was initially called simply the National Theater, but before being named after the prominent writer Ivan Vazov it also bore the name of Krastyu Sarafov between 1952 and 1962.
Vazov's play, "The Outcasts" was the first to be performed at the theater when it was opened.
The theater's Neoclassical building, designed by famous Viennese theater architects Hermann Helmer and Ferdinand Fellner, was constructed in 1906 and opened in 1907.
Laman Ismayilova is AzerNews’ staff journalist, follow her on Twitter: @Lam_Ismayilova
Follow us on Twitter @AzerNewsAz