Baku condemns attack on UK’s Manchester Arena [UPDATE]

23 May 2017 14:39 (UTC+04:00)

By Laman Ismayilova

Flags flew at half-mast at the British embassy in Baku as the country faced a horrible terrorist attack in London overnight.

At least 22 people - including children - are dead and 59 more injured after a suicide bomber targeted youngsters leaving a packed pop concert at Manchester Arena last night in Britain's worst terror attack since 7/7, according to Daily Mail.

Witnesses told of nuts and bolts tearing into young gig-goers when the blast was detonated in the foyer area between the arena and the next-door Victoria station after the Ariana Grande performance ended. The bomb went off just after the end of the concert at a time parents were leaving with their children and other mothers and fathers were arriving to pick up groups of youngsters.

The British authorities say the explosion is being treated as a terrorist attack. Speaking to reporters early Tuesday, Manchester’s chief constable, Ian Hopkins, said that a man had detonated “an improvised explosive device” and had been killed in the blast. He said the police believed that the man had acted alone, but that they were trying to determine whether he had been part of a wider network.

Azerbaijan has condemned the terrorist attack on the Manchester Arena in the UK.

“We condemn Manchester attack and express our heartfelt condolences to families of victims and British authorities,” the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry tweeted on May 23.

There are no Azerbaijani nationals among those killed and injured in the explosion in Manchester, according to preliminary information, said Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry, citing the country’s embassy in the UK.

The Azerbaijani embassy is in constant contact with the UK authorities, he told Trend.

---

Follow us on Twitter @AzerNewsAz