Turkey sacks over 200 servicemen

12 October 2016 15:53 (UTC+04:00)

By  Trend

Turkey has dismissed 223 servicemen as part of the fight against the movement of Fethullah Gulen, who is accused of being involved in the July 15 coup attempt, the Turkish newspaper Haber 7 reported on October 12.

The report says that 158 servicemen out of those 223 sacked are officers.

So far about 4,000 servicemen have been dismissed as part of the fight against the Gulen movement.

On July 15 evening, Turkish authorities said a military coup attempt took place in the country. Meanwhile, a group of servicemen announced about transition of power to them.

However, the rebelling servicemen started to surrender July 16 and Turkish authorities said the coup attempt failed.

Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had said the death toll as a result of the military coup attempt stood at 246 people, excluding the coup plotters, and over 2,000 people were wounded.

---

Follow us on Twitter @AzerNewsAz